The Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) program is a research-based, structured, college prep system designed to provide direct support for college-bound students who typically find themselves in “the middle.” The mission of AVID is to ensure students:
– succeed in rigorous curriculum;
– complete a college prep path;
– participate in mainstream activities of the school;
– increase their enrollment in four-year colleges; and
– become educated and responsible participants and leaders in a democratic society
AVID students are enrolled in the four required content classes, with at least one of the four being an advanced class. In addition, AVID students will have one elective of choice and the required AVID elective class.
The AVID elective class provides students with support, strategies, and direct instruction to help them complete rigorous work and meet or exceed high standards in each content area. In order to do so, the goal is to assist students:
– develop as readers and writers
– develop deep content knowledge
– know content specific strategies for reading, writing, thinking, and talking
– develop habits, skills, and behaviors to use knowledge and skills
– become aware of the “hidden curriculum” in schools
– develop collaboration
– develop organization
“Do I qualify for the AVID program at Raymond B. Stewart Middle School?” – Average to high test scores
– 2.0-3.5 GPA
– College potential with support
– Commitment to hard work
– Desire to succeed
– May be the first generation to attend college
– May be low income
– May be underserved in four-year colleges
Applications are completed in the spring for the following school year.
See Ms. Hawk for details!
Check out our Facebook page, our name is Stewart Middle Avid!